This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from one of the links below, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.
So, who wants to be happier this year? Whoop-whoop, I do! Do you ever find yourself searching for ways to feel better physically and to be happier? Some people seem to constantly have a smile on their face and a perky bounce in their step. How do they do it? I want to be that person! Is that even possible? Well, hold onto your hats folks, cause I’m about to enlighten you on 10 ways to be incredibly happy right now!
Be Incredibly Happy Now!
The following list (www.psychologytoday.com) has been scientifically proven to turn that frown upside-down, and give you all the feel-goods pronto:
- Get Outside Girl! Aside from the positive mood-boosting outside activity provides, it also helps to broaden thinking and improve working memory. So, a nice lap around the neighborhood twice a day may be on my 2018 agenda.
- Go to Bed! To sleep, that is. Getting a good night’s sleep is crucial to your body’s recovery process, daily focus, and productivity. Likewise, sleep is also necessary for happiness, in that it helps us to better deal with negative emotions. If momma don’t sleep, nobody’s gonna have a good day.
- Hang with your family and friends. Time with loved ones is extremely beneficial in making us feel happy. Even for introverts, like myself, this social time is valuable in making us happy, right now.
- Help Others. Spending time and helping those in need, at least two hours per week, has been shown to enrich people’s lives and boost happiness. This is a great one! It always makes me feel good to help others.
- Exercise — Get movin! Exercising, even just seven minutes a day has been shown to decrease depression, increase brain power, and improve your body image, even if you don’t lose weight. And, exercise releases proteins and endorphins in our brains to make us feel happier. Guess I’ll be getting that gym membership tomorrow!
- Say “CHEESE!” Smiling can make us feel better, but it’s more effective when we back it up with positive thoughts. Additionally, smiling can improve our attention and help us perform better on cognitive tasks. So, SMILE, even if you don’t feel like it. It will still help create positive feelings!
- Plan a Trip — Even if you don’t go anywhere! It’s been proven that people are happiest during the planning stage of a vacation, as people enjoy the sense of anticipation. This euphoria can last up to 8 weeks! WOW!
- Meditate daily. Meditation clears your mind and calms you down, and it has been often shown to be the single most effective way to live a happier life. Well, Namaste, my friend! Aaahhhhhmmmmmmm…
- Move closer to work. Apparently, our commute to work can have a surprisingly powerful impact on our happiness. A long commute, twice a day, can cause misery for some people. My two-hour commute, one-way, to Atlanta every day was definitely an example of this. That was four hours of my life, four days per week, spent in barely moving, bumper-to-bumper traffic. NOT FUN! When I switched jobs and my commute was then 20 minutes on a leisurely, calm drive, my life was much better and happier!
- Practice Gratitude. There are lots of ways to practice gratitude, from keeping a journal of things you’re grateful for, sharing things you are grateful for with a friend, and going out of your way to show gratitude when others help you. Practicing gratitude has been shown to increase a person’s happiness and life satisfaction while decreasing depressive feelings. So, focus on the good things you’ve got going for ya each day!
- Surround yourself with Kittens and Puppies. Okay, this one is my personal suggestion. But, seriously, if you lay down in the grass and have a bunch of little, fuzzy kittens crawling all over you and adorable, furry puppies wanting to cuddle up next to you… Wouldn’t you be happy? YES! Ecstatic! Unless you are allergic, then things might not go so well, but we’ll focus on the positive right now.
So, to summarize this list of 10 ways to be incredibly happy now, I think spending more time and energy on your happiness should be your number one goal. It can actually be the best thing for everyone because it improves your life and the lives of everyone around you. Your daily habits influence your happiness far more than doing an activity once every month or so. Implementing some or all of these “happy factors” can only create positive outcomes. And, THAT, my friend, is what I wish for you this year. Complete and utter Happiness.
What would you add to this list? Do you think you could implement some of these into your daily routine? Do you know people who seem to be truly happy? Let me know! Please comment below — I’d love to hear from you!
Don’t forget to download my 2018 Free Printable Calendar, so you can schedule some or all of these great Happy tips!
You may be interested in reading these similar articles as well: Simple Ways to Live Better and 10 Weight Loss Tips to Make Losing Weight Faster.