This post may contain affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through these links, I earn a small commission at no cost to you. I only recommend products I have used and love.
Renovation of the Mudroom with DIY Board and Batten
Hi there friend! I am super excited to share this post with you today! I am going to show you how I changed an ugly, beat-up room, into a pretty, functional, and organized mudroom for my family.
When you first walk in the front door from outside, there is a small room on the left that at one time was probably a laundry room. There is a place for a washer and dryer hook-up, a wall cabinet ironing board, a sink, and a tiled floor. When we moved into the house, there were several holes in the wall in this room, and I have no idea what caused them. But, we just placed a piece of board over the holes and went about our business. Eventually, this room was consumed with shoes (we’re talking about a hundred pair for five people), and they were thrown around on the floor in no particular order. My kids were late for everything because they couldn’t find two matching shoes to wear! This is also the room where the kids put all their school bags, supplies, coats and jackets, homework folders, etc. Since it is currently the summer, I decided to transform this room into an organized, efficient mudroom.
Materials List that I used (I made a trip to Home Depot):
- drywall (they have different sizes), drywall patch kit (for the smaller holes)
- drywall putty
- hand sander or sanding block
- caulk and caulk gun
- corbels (however many you think you will need, and the size will depend on the length/width of your shelf)
- misc. boards. I used 1″ x 6″, 1″ x 8″, 1″ x 10″ — take your measurements and then figure out what size you will need
- bead board (I had an old scrap piece on-hand that I cut and used)
- nail filler
- painter’s tape
- nails for nail gun
- misc sized screws
- wood glue, strong adhesive
- hooks for hanging jackets/coats (I used five)
- paint brushes and paint rollers
As much as I hate to show you, here are some of the “before” pics:
I unscrewed and removed the ironing board and cabinet from the wall, leaving a giant hole. There were already a few other holes around the room too, so the first thing I did was repair the holes using drywall, drywall putty, and paint. For the main wall that will have the board and batten, I covered the finished wall with a piece of white bead board. Next, I measured my planks, cut to the correct length, and attached to the wall using a line of wood glue on the back of the boards and then a few nails here and there to make sure the boards stayed attached. Once the boards and bead board were in place and attached, I caulked around the edges of everything, sanded over all of it, and painted all the wood with flat white paint.
At this point, I also measured where my corbels would go. I painted the corbels and the shelf and set them aside to dry.
I also decided that I really did not like the current paint color, so I painted all of the walls and the ceiling with flat, white paint (Ugh! Talk about time consuming!).
I have been wanting to paint my walls a light gray color, so I did a lot of research into finding a neutral gray that would go with most anything. I stopped by Sherwin Williams and picked-up a can of Agreeable Gray. Love. It. I also went with flat, because if I ever need to do touch-up painting, it is easy to cover and it doesn’t leave brush marks. Once the walls were finished, I decided to whitewash the cabinets with a mixture of 30% chalk paint (white) and 70% water. I just sloshed it on the cabinets and wiped part of it off with a cloth. This helped to make the cabinets blend in better with the new wall color. (Side Note: My husband is so mad at me for doing that!)
Okay, now it was time to lay the board on top of the corbels and attach the black hangers, which I also picked up at Home Depot. Meanwhile, during this long process, I have been putting together the new white storage bench, the four white drawers, and the white cubbies. These are all part of my plan to help organize this space. Here are some pics of the room once it was finished.
And now, once I have added a little greenery and decor.
Okay, I will admit that this is definitely not perfect, but I am loving this renovation! The kids already love it, and I can’t wait to see if we can keep this room organized once school starts. Tag, you’re it! Send me pictures of your mudroom renovation! Oh, and here are a few other DIY projects that you might want to try — DIY Pottery Barn-look Mirror, and DIY Wood Plank Signs.
Never miss a post!
Receive new posts delivered straight to your inbox!