This post may contain affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through these links, I earn a small commission at no cost to you. I only recommend products I have used and love. If you enjoy Derby Lane Dreams, using these affiliate links is one way to support my blog.
Keto Diet and Recipes for Rapid Weight Loss
Jenn the RN, here again, to give you more information about the keto diet for rapid weight loss. Additionally, I’m providing a sample 7-day meal plan, several quick, delicious recipes, keto-friendly restaurant choices, and extra tips and ideas for successfully losing weight and maintaining health.
*Blanket Statement: It’s always best to check with your doctor before starting on this regimen. With that said, “the keto diet isn’t recommended for those with liver or kidney disease, or someone with a medical condition, such as a gastrointestinal issue, who can’t metabolize high amounts of dietary fat,” says Sarah Jadin, a registered dietitian. Also, if you’ve had your gallbladder removed, the keto diet may not be for you. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding and people with certain rare genetic disorders shouldn’t try this diet.
What is the Keto Diet?
The ketogenic (Keto) diet is when you eat high amounts of fat and small amounts of carbs to enter a state of ketosis. In ketosis, your body burns ketones (instead of glucose) for energy, which provides numerous physical benefits for your body.
So, What Can I Have on the Keto Diet?
When buying foods, the general idea is to focus on eating good quality, low-carb, and minimally processed real food. Like, eggs, fish, meat, vegetables, and natural fats (butter or olive oil). It’s also a good idea to buy organic foods whenever you can. Eating good-for-you high-fat and low-carb foods will help expedite your rapid weight loss on the keto diet.
- Meat: beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, pork (including bacon), sausage
- Fatty fish and shellfish: salmon, trout, mackerel, shrimp, scallops
- Eggs: ideal when cooked in fat
- Berries: strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries (in limited quantities)
- Non-starchy vegetables: leafy greens, like spinach and kale, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumber
- Nuts and seeds: macadamias, walnuts, pecans, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts, flaxseeds, coconut, peanuts (a legume exception)
- Nut and seed butters (with no added sugar): sun butter, almond butter, peanut butter
- Full-fat dairy (in limited quantities): heavy whipping dairy, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, cheese
- Fats and oils: butter, coconut oil, olive oil, hemp oil, flaxseed oil, almond oil, avocado oil, sesame oil, mayonnaise
For your daily liquids, it’s best to stick with water, tea, coffee, unsweetened nut milk (almond, cashew), and the occasional glass of wine.
I’m ready to get serious on this rapid weight loss journey. What foods should I throw away?
- Sugar in all forms
- Candy, chocolate, cookies
- Breakfast cereals and muffins
- Potato chips, popcorn snacks, dried fruits
- Wheat flour, pasta, rice, potatoes
- Bagels, bread, and beer
- Beans and cans of soup
- Soft drinks, fruit juices, applesauce, jams
- Margarine, ketchup, bottled sauces
- Ready-made spice mixes, salsas
- Ice cream, sweet buns, cakes, freezer waffles/pancakes
DELICIOUS KETO DIET RECIPES
Top Lunch and Dinner Recipes in 20 minutes or less:
It’s the weekend. You don’t want to cook, but you do still want to continue your rapid weight loss goals. Head on over to one of these restaurants that serves-up Keto-friendly fare:
Applebee’s – Try the Chicken Tortilla Soup with a side ofSteamed Broccoli.
Bahama Breeze – Get theGrilled Chicken Cobb Salad
Buffalo Wild Wings – The Buffalo Blue Burger served over greens (with no bun).
Cracker Barrel– Go for the Grilled Sirloin Steakor Lemon Pepper Grilled Rainbow Trout.
Longhorn Steakhouse– Order the 7-Pepper Sirloin Salador LongHorn Chili Bowl.
Olive Garden -The Chicken Piccata sounds delicious!
P.F. Chang’s – Get the Shrimp with Lobster Sauce or oil and garlic.
Red Lobster– Filet Mignon or a half-portion of the Salmon New Orleans.
Additional Tips to help you Succeed:
- Eat a low-carb diet
- Only eat when you are hungry
- Avoid fruit, beer, and artificial sweeteners
- Eat fewer nuts and dairy products
- Sleep more, and try to stress less
- Take vitamins and minerals
- Exercise wisely, like walking
- Achieve optimal ketosis
- See your physician and get your hormones checked
- Use intermittent fasting
- Be persistent and you will see rapid weight loss results!
Other Ways to Improve your Health:
- Daily stretching – Do a full-body stretch to help relieve tension in your back and shoulders.
- Take a walk – walking allows you to enjoy a change of scenery, which can get you into a different frame of mind, and it helps you soak-up some Vitamin D.
- Start a Journal– journaling is proven by research to bring several health benefits in addition to stress relief.
- Breathing exercises – Breathe in through your nose, hold for a count of three, and breathe out through your mouth, all while envisioning your abdomen expanding and contracting with each breath. Just five of these breaths can relieve pent-up tension and anxiety
- Listen to music – Creating playlists for various moods can help you to relieve stress and feel happy.
- Learn to say “no”– Setting boundaries and refusing to overbook yourself eliminates a whole host of stressors you would have to otherwise manage.
- Enjoy Aromatherapy – Using candles, diffusers with essential oils, and scented body lotions can help you to become energized, more relaxed, or more present. (Rosemary, lavender, lemon, and peppermint are a few good ones to use).
Before starting the Keto Diet
What is the Keto Flu and the symptoms
When starting the keto diet, it takes your brain and other organs time to adapt to using this new fuel. Losing a lot of water and sodium is the reason some people have unpleasant symptoms of keto flu (nausea, muscle cramps, fatigue, headache, sugar cravings, irritability, dizziness, and brain fog). An individual’s response to the keto transition varies widely from person to person. Some people feel normal or just slightly fatigued, and others develop more intense symptoms for a few days.
Cure for the Keto Flu
- Increase your salt and water intake (drink a glass of water with 1/2 teaspoon salt stirred in, twice a day if needed).
- Add more healthy fat to your diet. You need enough fat so that you are not hungry after a meal, can go for several hours without eating, and have ample energy.
- Slow down your transition to the keto diet by eating a few more carbs, such as following a more moderate low-carb diet.
- Take it easy doing physical activity for the first few weeks and then slowly increase your exercise intensity.
- Do not consciously restrict calories and food intake – in a few weeks your hunger will slow down.
Check out these related articles:
Never miss a post!
Receive new posts delivered straight to your inbox!